Friday, July 26, 2013

Memories of being the last white kid in the West End-Part Deux.

This entry is from a short story I wrote a few months back titled "Last one out, bring the flag" in two parts. It tells of how a kid learned about racism and how to cope as best as he could in the turbulent late 60's.


Towards the end of my teacher’s pet days and before I was asked to take ten steps backwards (poem reciting) in my still developing manhood, I’d ask Mrs. Gladfelter to drop me at the curb close to my house so I didn’t have to explain myself to anyone, specifically my Mom. My mom was militant before I knew what the word meant. It didn’t cotton well with her to know I might be getting beat up or fighting every day. I’d flat out lie to her and say we played rough at recess, and that much was true, but coming out on the short end of a two and sometimes three on one scrap would mean my mom would show up and the Yankee in her (she was from Maryland, born this side of the Mason-Dixon in a small railroad town named Cumberland, but I called her a Yankee anyway just to piss her off) would reveal itself in all its Gray and White Union colored glory. It would be like the Civil War was being fought all over again and something I’d just soon avoid back then. God help you if your Mom ever showed up at school to defend your honor. It meant one thing and one thing only, you were a dead man. I was convinced my mom didn’t give a rat’s ass about me back then, but you were not going to beat up her kid. It was more of a personal pride thing for her, not a love your son thing as far as I could tell. If she knew what I was going through and not winning 100% of the time, I was a dead man. If she showed up at my school and raised all manner of hell because I was getting the shit kicked out of myself a few days out of the week, then the terrorists I attended school with would kill me dead. I figured that out after the next to the last white kid’s mother did just what I feared mine might. My buddy Pat McGill was a scrappy red-headed kid (aren’t all of them?) of Irish descent who lasted about two more weeks and those two weeks were filled with face down, dirt-sniffing, torn clothed ass-whuppins from the new locals. His family moved away shortly thereafter, leaving the duty of flag bearer to just me. Years later Pat and I attended the same high school, as fate would have it, but by then we were both just distant memories remembered by an occasional “What’s up” in the hallways of higher learning. Maybe we just both wanted to forget what we’d been through and seeing each other brought back those memories, unpleasant for us both.

Life’s like that.

I feel like I need to make one thing clear here. I was not a whiner or a pussy back then. The first term, whiner, was just that, someone who complained about every little thing that went wrong. The second term, pussy, might mean a lot of different things to many, from a critter of the feline persuasion to woman parts. What it meant to an athlete was you were unable, unfit, and worst of all, unwilling. It also meant you pissed sitting down, played with Barbie Dolls (as opposed to “action figures” like G.I. Joe) wore dresses, anything that might mean you weren’t a man or at least well on your way there as far as athletics were concerned. Back then I played every intermural sport, save for basketball, that a kid could play. I would not ever be known as a pussy as long as I lived, so I learned one inalienable truth; I was going to have to fight for the rest of my life if the fifth grade was a window into my future. “It’s going to be alright” meant that I’d better learn to fight, like it, and somehow balance the victories and the defeats so I could survive. I learned one thing in the fifth grade, and that was that for every kids ass you kicked, there was an older brother, a cousin, a second cousin and sometimes even a sister whose ass you’d have to fight after your pugilistic dismissal of their “kin”. I needed to win if I wanted to eat my lunch that day.

My daily activities did force me to learn how to dance back then. It made me take full advantage of the one fiftieth Cherokee Indian it was rumored I possessed; it made me do the rain dance. And pray too. I'd dance and pray for rain, and do both a lot. But I also learned I didn’t want to fight during recess and have to fight my way home to boot. So when I’d get in a fight, I’d make sure I knew who and how many family members I was going to engage afterward. It was a balancing act most nine-year olds might never consider. At one point it got so bad and frequent, I wore the same pants to school for three weeks straight because I had fought Dexter Washington, his six brothers, four cousins, his sister (twice) and Dexter one more time, and getting my clothes torn up would set off warning shots with my mother. I think I have adequately explained the slings and arrows of that scenario, so I avoided it like a potential life-ending plague.

I remember those green “Docker” style pants well. They were hand-me-downs from my older brother, who I guessed was fighting his own wars in Junior High (aka middle school), and they got a year’s worth of wear in the three weeks I donned them to do battle. It ended when the principal of my school called me into his office and asked me if my family was in some sort of financial straits. I told him that I was not aware of any hardships that had befallen my clan and my clothing was not a reflection of those unknown straits, if they indeed existed. Mr. Saffo was a man of action, and any trouble would be dealt with by a principal with a no-nonsense approach to young people. What that meant in English (based on my now innate sense of survival) was that if he stepped in I’d be fighting on my way to school, from school, during school, and possible week-ends… and maybe Christmas and Easter too. That was a prospect I’d just as soon avoid. So I lied to my principal that day, in my ragged green slacks and ragged mind-set. I lied to him so I might survive,  not just that day, but the many days that lay ahead.

Around then, I was already fighting my way through the Jackson family. The Jacksons were a huge family big enough to field a football team (both offense and defense), a basketball team and a baseball team to include a bull pen and farm league. There was what seemed to me, to be a few hundred Jacksons. Their mom and dad named them all after the books of the bible. I am not kidding when I tell you this. I fought Genesis Jackson, Exodus Jackson, Leviticus Jackson (now he could scrap) all the way to Malachi Jackson. I skipped a few books, but did duke it out with both first and second Samuel (known as the twins), Isaiah, Ezekiel, Nehemiah and even Ruth and Esther Jackson. I had punched my way through the Book of Moses, The Prophets, most of The Writings. I guessed names like “Lamentations, Kings, Numbers and Deuteronomy” were just way too strange to name a kid, Biblical or not. What I didn’t know was those were used as middle names for other Jacksons, like Bubba, Leroy, and Skillet Jackson, one mean SOB.

I was busy fighting my way through the New Testament and had the shit kicked out of me by Luke Jackson, a dude who was a foot taller than me at the time and the first Jackson to have pity on a neophyte scrappy white kid born on Peachtree street. I had whipped Matthew, Mark and John Jackson, even-steven with “Jesus” Jackson, who hollered for me not to punch him in the face (and for some strange reason I didn’t) because, as he said “I am the chosen one, mutha fukka”. I was working my way into Acts Jackson (his family called him “Action”), when it all stopped suddenly with the Jackson clan. I was ready to fight it out now and explain my blasphemous altercations with the biblical books expressed in human form, to God himself if necessary, but later.

I would soon learn why the fights all stopped, and that right soon.

It seemed that the Jackson family was regular attendees of the Baptist Church in the burg of Atlanta where they were all bussed from. The political lottery deciding that all the Jackson family between the Seventh grade and Kindergarten would receive the earliest part of their education at the same school I was required to attend. It seemed like the lottery favored some and not others, if you saw things from my point of view. My brother was in Junior High School, smart as Hell and a decent opponent when it came to fighting. He was 457-0, kicking my younger ass every single time I stepped up to the plate to take his crown. It would be many years later before I took his title away and he and I became more like friends than siblings afterward. I guess you get used to your bigger brother watching your back when you are physically smaller than him, meaning you had something with which to threaten a larger threat with. The first time I bested my older brother, and the last time I tried, my thin layer of protection vanished like a fart in a hurricane.

The Jacksons, it seemed, had “testify day” at the Baptist Church a few Sundays back, where they all were supposed to confess their sins in front of the church. As fate or God would have it, my name came up during said confession from one of the kinder (I’m guessing Hebrews Jackson or maybe 2nd Timothy…he was a bit of a sissy and his turn was coming soon) more gentle books of the Jackson Bible. In other words, one of the family members confessed that I had to fight the majority of the family and by no fault of my own. It seemed that the heads of the Jackson family (it was an even proposition in the black family… Mom had as much sway over the family as the father did) made sure that it was known that continuous willful sin would place them in the hot-seat of Hades faster than rejecting Jesus as Lord and Savior (and not Jesus Jackson either-the real sho-nuff Jesus of Nazareth, Son of the most high). That’s the same Jesus whom I was now proclaiming as my personal savior.  Although the source of my thankfulness was a by-product of the Jackson family’s public confessional, the best part of that Sunday was the cessation of getting my ass kicked in by the biggest family in Atlanta. It did not, however, compel them to take that one extra step in their still evolving faith walk. That extra step would be protecting or even praying for their enemy. In other words, none of the biblical Jacksons I had locked horns with ever stepped in to halt any other scraps I was involved in. That was how I saw myself back then. I was the enemy and I didn’t even know for sure why. I guess any battle that gets fought too long ends up that way. Nobody remembers why it started or how it will end. It even took me a while to figure it out. Mine ended six months later with a large yellow moving van backed into my yard.

It was many years later when I discovered what “Last one out, bring the flag” really meant.

I guess I was that “one”.

No comments:

Post a Comment