Monday, August 12, 2013

Near miss Chemo and the good Doctor Rorschach

I was in the 21st month of my stay at the Georgia Baptist Hilton. Due to the severity of my injuries, I was required to do a nuclear medicine scan once every two weeks to make sure the circulation in my left lower leg was progressing as my doctors had planned. The procedure required that I have dye injected into my bloodstream and I sit still for long periods of time while some remote scanner x-rayed my veins pumping (or not) my blood leading to my healing and ultimately, my departure from the Baptist Church’s answer to Hospital care. I had this particular procedure done sixty or so times during my long and protracted stay at the Hilton, so I was intimately familiar with the systems and methods utilized therein. Probably more so than most of the bored interns doing time, making hours, so they could move on to the next phase of their process which was ultimately becoming a doctor, I assumed.

It (the procedure) usually went as follows:

Don’t eat anything the night before. I couldn’t figure that one out. I was never “put under” for the procedure, and the bored dude or dudette doing the procedure could never tell me why. So I’d go in my gown, ass flying in the breeze and stomach growling like I’d swallowed a C.B. radio searching for a frequency at full gain. I was usually not in the mood for all the activity, self-conscious about my ass hanging out, and to top it all off the procedure was done in the same unit that cancer patients received chemo for their ailments. We weren’t under the same suspended ceiling mind you, but we could see each other through the glass partition. We were in the same general vicinity, really sick folks and really really sick folks, and trust me, there is a difference.

On one particular "Nuke"procedure, I was experiencing a good deal of pain in my leg from a recent operation to “debride” my bones from where I had a graft, a painful procedure that usually required some purty serious pain meds for a good week or more. When said nuke procedure was to be done, it meant that my pain meds had to be stopped the night before, no dinner, and a night of intense pain followed by your ass hanging out in the breeze as described earlier. It was not pleasant. I would do Lamaze breathing techniques I learned while in training for the birth of our children. It was the only way I could manage the intense pain while the procedure was being completed. I must say now that “debride” meant they (the doctor) would go into my wound area and scrape bone off my bone graft where it was not healing the way the doctors thought it should. It was painful. I cannot express that with any more prejudice than by saying it simply…it hurt like hell. Now, I won’t lie and say I had to bite a bullet or drink a few shots of whiskey before the procedure was to proceed. The doctors used modern-day pain killers and lots of ‘em, but the post operative pain was akin to getting a tooth pulled without the benefit of Novocaine or poopin’ a porcupine out backwards.

I was wheeled into the unit for my nuclear medicine injection and when I was, I noticed that I was not in the same place I had been, geographically speaking, the 59 other times I had the procedure done. I was in another world, Lamaze breathing (yep, the baby birthing kind) to manage my current pain filled malady and truly not paying much attention to my current surroundings. I had an internal injection port in my left forearm just at the elbow, on the top in the meaty part of my arm due to the hundreds of needle sticks and the scar tissue that had formed on my hands from being needled so much. I had my eyes closed and waited for the dye to be injected into my veins as I had done so many times before when I heard a crunching sound that had the same “gate” as someone walking. I didn’t think much of it at the time, as I was in a semi-conscious dream state from no sleep, no dope and no chow. It was kinda like “Fat, Drunk and Stupid is no way to go through life son” as quoted to Flounder by Dean Wormer in Animal House. “Sleepy, in pain and hungry are no ways to spend the day son”…I guess you get it by now.

I felt the familiar cool swab followed by a stiff smell of sterile alcohol (what every one loves in the morning) from my port site and just before I was going to feel the familiar needle stick, I opened my eyes. What I saw not only surprised me, It made me jump a little, which as a good thing. The dude that was going to administer the “dye” was in a chrome suit. I mean G.I. Joe Space Capsule chrome suit from the 1960′s space capsule set with the Red Record ( a bit of trivia), silver boots, silver gloves, silver helmet with a cool shield. He looked like Liberace in an aluminum suit. Just before he was about to stick the needle into the port I interrupted him with “Hey Dude”…he looked at me, obviously annoyed, and said “Yes Mr. Green, what is it?”

“I’m not Mr. Green, dude, I’m Mr. Hall”

All I heard was “That’s just Great!” from Mr. Nurse "Chrome Suit" and the next thing you know, he jumps up and hits a Red button on the wall and you’d have thought all Hell had officially broke loose in the wing of the hospital my hungry half-naked ass was parked in. Folks were running around like chickens with their heads cut off and I was snatched out of the “unit” (fancy word for “room”) and wheeled to some place where I was hosed off and sterilized, sanitized and fertilized. I realized later that I was about to be administered Chemotherapy and it was a damn good thing I “Hey Duded” that Chrome suited guy before he stuck the needle in my arm. From what I have heard and read, getting Chemo without needing it was not a good thing, something about nuclear half-life, and none of which was good. I figured the life I was in possession of currently had a little over half of it used up from the accident that landed me in the Hospital hoosgow in the first place. So I figured I’d “Dodged that bullet”, and, all was well.

Or so I thought.

The next I know, I have hospital administrators in my room, the same room, 375, as the collection agent called me in (thought you’d like to know that). I was asked numerous questions as to my mental state and if I was traumatized by almost being “chemo’ed” as one person put it. I told them all I was fine, I had caught it just in time, no big deal, no harm no foul. Everything was hunky and dory (I figured if I was “Hunky” considering my current circumstances, then ”Dory” was a definite upgrade) and if could convince these Doctor types to just focus on getting me out of there we’d call it even. I guess for insurance purposes (covering their own asses I assumed) they had the hospital psychologist come to see me in my room, to “talk it through” if you will, as the last way to have the hospital not be liable for me jumping off the roof or shoving a broom handle into the spokes of a moving wheelchair (with another patient in it) because I had lost my mind over the “Uh-oh chemo!” incident.

This was shaping up to be a Greek Tragedy, if it wasn't true. I guessed that if a body stayed in a hospital as long as I had, there was bound t be some mistakes....but this?

Check back in tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment