Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Car buddies, Bank buddies, and Buckwheat.

Curt had formulated a plan and it worked. There was another box holding the rebuild kit and gasket material, another holding my traveling tool box so I could dis-assemble and reassemble the transmission. That was my car buddy “gifts”. My banker buddies also had presents. They had a box carefully wrapped and it was the exact size of a cooler. When my nurse walked in, she said “Jim, isn't you birthday in March?, its July!” One of my banker buddies said “It’s belated, we couldn't all get here and we just wanted to show our support”. The cooler had a case and a half of Ice Cold Long neck Budweiser’s in it and we had a brew or two. The second, and most important box held three “Carnivore Specials”, pizza’s from DePalma’s Pizzeria, my favorite pizza joint located in what I called “Buckwheat” the industrial area between Bolton Road and Buckhead, the high brow area of Atlanta. DePalma’s Pizza Joint was situated on the de-facto dividing line between my car buddies and my bank buddies, at least in my mind. It was one place they all could agree to meet. I just had to face in a different direction to wait for my buddies, hi-brows from the North, and low-rent from the South. I liked them both with equal enthusiasm.
The Carnivore Specials had every kind of meat known to man on top of them, cooked to perfection and topped with the best cheese I have ever tasted. The super large could feed a small army, and we had three and a half small armies in my room. I had Ice cold beer, Pizza, and my buddies from both sides of the tracks all at once in my hospital room. I looked one more time for a box with a stripper in it, but that box didn't make it through the door. It was a night I’ll never forget. It made me feel good and I knew I wasn't forgotten by my friends, regardless of where they lived and how much money they made. Right then they all made considerably more than me, but none were richer.
Of course, my nurse came in after the party ended, meaning visitation was over. I gave her and the other nurses a pizza to keep them quiet so they let us do our thing and nobody was any poorer for the celebration. She told me I’d better keep it to myself and there’d be no trouble. I told her I was in it for the long haul and the only person that might see any trouble was her. I laid that groundwork to help aid in my transmission fix-it plans my buddies had delivered as a true gift to fight off boredom. I made it clear to her that I wanted the transmission left in my room and even told her why. I needed something to do and that was it. She just shook her head and said she’d “allow” it as long as there were no more parties involving car parts, beer, and pizza in my private room again.
Curt has taken the side inspection cover off the transmission and had run gas through it to rid it of the smelly transmission “dope” that was used as lubricant by the manufacturer. It was an awful smelling mess that would get in your skin and stink like a dead ‘possum if you didn't scrub it off with soap or gasoline. All the old school car dudes I knew called the lubricant “Whale Sperm Oil” it was so thick. I later learned it (the Whale Sperm Oil) was what was used way back when to lubricate manual transmissions. I figured it must have been based on the way it smelled. I guessed it was why you didn’t see a lot of whale babies. If the spunk of a whale smelled this bad, no wonder a female whale might turn tail and run. It stunk like the south bound end of a north bound skunk.
I carefully disassembled the “Muncie” 4 speed, named for the plant that manufactured the transmission for General Motors, located in Muncie, Indiana. No fancy nomenclature, mind you, just named for the city that thing was built-in, simple and effective. When I disassembled the transmission, I put the parts in the bath tub in my bathroom and filled it with “Dawn” dishwashing liquid, a necessity when working on any greasy car item, casserole pan, and any oil soaked bird (seriously) that might need the oil disbursed and dissolved from it feathery clothing. This stuff worked like a champ and was as integral a part of any car dudes grease relief repper-twa (fancy french word alert) this side of WD-40. I’d sit on the porcelain facility, and with my hospital supplied toothbrush scrub those tiny parts as good as I could. There were hundreds of parts making up the inner workings of said transmissions, from hundreds of small needle bearings to the large input shaft. They, all together, made up the backbone of any good hot rod.

Here is where it got interesting. Some of the bigger parts, like the case and the front cover, the rear tail section, the large input shaft and the helical cut gears needed the kind of cleaning my Dawn Liquid and elbow grease could not provide. Steamy hot water and pressure was the ticket and I had a plan.
Well, I thought I'd get this wrapped up in two days, but hey, it's free. See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment